Fighting for their lives: Children of an intifada that has yet to erupt (+ traduzione in italiano)


By Alex Levac and Gideon Levy | Mar.08, 2013 | 10:29 AM


The bullets are still in the two bodies – apparently 0.22-caliber ones from a Ruger sniper rifle, which is forbidden to use for the dispersal of demonstrations. One teenager is in critical condition, with a bullet in his skull; the other is somewhat better off, with two bullets in his abdomen and his leg. One celebrated his 16th birthday this week, is anesthetized and on artificial respiration; the other is only 13 but his condition is better.

Both boys were shot last week, on Monday, in the violent protest demonstrations in Bethlehem on the day of the funeral of Arafat Jaradat, the Palestinian detainee who died in prison in unclear circumstances. The youngsters were shot by Israel Defense Forces soldiers, near the wall around Rachel’s Tomb, a few hours apart and not many meters away from each other.

Oudai Ramadan might remain paralyzed and disabled for the rest of his life, or he may die. Mohammed Kurdi will have two more operations and will recover. Both of them are children of an intifada that has not yet been born.

Readers of Psalms and also Palestinians crowd into the tiny waiting room near the intensive care department at Hadassah University Hospital, Ein Karem. “A song of Ascents. I will lift up mine eyes unto the mountains: From whence shall my help come? My help cometh from the Lord, Who made heaven and earth,” murmurs the relative of a Jewish patient. Next to him sits Fathi Ramadan, a retired cook at the psychiatric hospital in Bethlehem, grandfather of Oudai, who is lying there and fighting for his life.

Amir, Oudai’s 14-year-old brother, is wearing his wounded brother’s metal chain and silver ring for good luck. The two brothers were raised by their grandmother and grandfather, after their parents separated and their mother moved to live with her new husband in Israel. For more than a week now they have not left their loved one’s bedside; the mother, the grandmother, the grandfather and the brother sleep on the hospital floor and hope for the best.

But for Oudai, the best will not happen. He studies hairdressing at the vocational school in the al-Aida refugee camp. On Monday, February 25, he planned to go with his brother after school to the beauty salon where he is apprenticing. The demonstrations that day, the day of Jaradat’s funeral, were especially fierce and the two brothers joined them.

A great miracle

They stood with other young people at the northern edge of their city, the place where it ends or is blocked opposite the separation wall, at the foot of the pillbox – the fortified concrete watchtower that was aflame that day from Molotov cocktails and fireworks thrown at it. The soldiers fired tear gas canisters, and at one stage one of them fired a live bullet, at Oudai’s head. A silencer covered the noise, according to witnesses.

Amir was fleeing from the gas as his brother fell. The soldiers took Oudai into the fortified building and, according to testimonies, only called a Palestinian ambulance after about half an hour. It rushed him to Al-Hussein Hospital in nearby Beit Jala.

Later that evening, Oudai was taken to Hadassah University Hospital. Several more casualties of last week’s incidents – from the villages of Khusra, Aboud, Qalandiyah and Bethlehem – are now hospitalized at Hadassah.

For a moment, I snuck into the room where Oudai is lying: a gangly adolescent with tubes stuck in his body, with his mother and grandmother sobbing ceaselessly at his bedside. His grandfather says that a few days before he was still occasionally responding to his surroundings, but not any more. His fever went up this week and his life is in danger. The grandfather came here on the night the boy was shot and has not been home since. “We can’t leave him for a moment,” the elderly man says, “I am not prepared to go home.” They marked his birthday on Sunday.

Barely an hour’s drive from there, Mohammed Kurdi lies in the surgical department at Al-Hussein Hospital, on a shabby bed covered with a threadbare synthetic blanket. His father, Khaled, is at his side. The boy’s abdomen and legs are bandaged. One of the two bullets penetrated his stomach and went straight through, lodging in his spine but without causing irreversible damage. In about two weeks he will have surgery to remove the two shells. The father, a car-washer, understands that his son has experienced a great miracle.

An eighth-grader, Mohammed went to school as usual in the Al-Aida refugee camp last Monday. Afterward, he took his skates and went for a spin around the camp. Near the camp’s Gate of Return, a number of teens had gathered and were throwing stones at the wall and the watchtower. We were there less than a month ago, to document the killing of another boy here, 15-year-old Salah Amarin.

Suha Zeid, a field researcher for B’Tselem – The Israeli Information Center for Human Rights in the Occupied Territories, filmed the last minutes before Mohammed was wounded, from the roof of one of the street’s buildings. The video does not show particularly tempestuous activity on the street: a small gathering of less than 20 adolescents sporadically throw stones at the wall from a distance of more than 150 meters.

Mohammed, in a striped shirt, is seen among them. That was at about 2:15 P.M. Zeid had turned off the camera and did not film the moment Mohammed was hit, but only the minutes immediately afterward. The wounded Mohammed is seen being carried by his friends. A foreign cameraman filmed a soldier aiming his rifle from a window in the watchtower. This was apparently the sniper who shot Mohammed.

From his bed, Mohammed recounts the event in his childish voice: First, one bullet hit his leg and then, as he bent over in pain, the second bullet hit his stomach. The soldier who fired did so from a distance of 150 meters, from the watchtower. These were live bullets. It is not clear why they were fired.

According to the video, and according to logic, it is impossible to believe the soldiers’ lives were in any danger. Mohammed says he saw the soldier who shot him standing at the window of the watchtower. Now he says with a wan smile that he will never go near there again. His father reminds us that the children of this small and crowded refugee camp have nowhere to go in their spare time.

The IDF Spokesman responded thusly: “Lately, there have been violent, illegal and dangerous disturbances in the area of Rachel’s Tomb. During these disturbances, which are taking place in difference sectors around the tomb compound, those taking part throw stones and hurl improvised grenades and Molotov cocktails in a manner that endangers the worshipers in the tomb compound and the security forces.

“Frequently they also try to torch army positions near the tomb compound and to damage the windows of the structures in the compound. Investigations are being conducted about the events in question, and their findings will be conveyed to the office of the military advocate general for examination.”



Con Alex Levac e Gideon Levy | Mar.08, 2013

I proiettili sono ancora nei due corpi – apparentemente di calibro 0.22- quelli di un fucile da cecchino Ruger, di cui è vietato l’uso per disperdere le  dimostrazioni. Un adolescente è in condizioni critiche, con una pallottola nel cranio, l’altro sta un po ‘meglio, con due pallottole nell’ addome e nella gamba. Uno ha festeggiato il suo 16 ° compleanno questa settimana, è anestetizzato e  respira artificialmente , l’altro ne ha solo 13, ma la sua condizione è migliore.

Entrambi i ragazzi sono stati colpiti la scorsa settimana, lunedi, nelle manifestazioni violente di protesta a Betlemme nel giorno dei funerali di Arafat Jaradat, il detenuto palestinese morto in carcere in circostanze poco chiare. I giovani sono stati feriti da soldati delle Forze di Difesa di Israele, vicino al muro intorno alla Tomba di Rachele, a poche ore uno dall’altro e a non molti metri di distanza l’uno dall’altro.

Oudai Ramadan potrebbe rimanere paralizzato e disabile per il resto della sua vita  o può morire. Mohammed Kurdi subirà due operazioni  e si riprenderà. Entrambi sono figli di una intifada che non è ancora nata. 

I lettori di Salmi e i palestinesi si affollano nella piccola stanza d’attesa vicino al reparto di terapia intensiva presso l’Hadassah University Hospital, Ein Karem. ” Canto delle ascensioni. Alzerò i miei occhi fino alla montagna: da dove mi verrà l’aiuto? Il mio aiuto viene dal Signore, che ha fatto il cielo e la terra” , mormora il parente di un paziente ebreo. Accanto a lui siede Fathi Ramadan, un cuoco in pensione presso l’ospedale psichiatrico di Betlemme, nonno di Oudai, che è lì e lotta per la sua vita.

Amir, il fratello 14enne di Oudai , indossa la catena di metallo del fratello ferito e l’anello d’argento per la buona fortuna. I due fratelli sono stati allevati dalla loro nonna e dal nonno, dopo che i loro genitori si sono separati e la madre si è trasferita  con il suo nuovo marito in Israele. Da più di una settimana non hanno lasciato il capezzale del proprio caro, la madre, la nonna, il nonno e il fratello dormono sul pavimento dell’ospedale e sperano per il meglio.

Ma per Oudai   il meglio non accadrà. Studia da parrucchiere presso la scuola professionale del campo profughi di al-Aida. Lunedi ‘, 25 febbraio, aveva in mente di andare  a lavorare con suo fratello dopo la scuola nel  salone di bellezza dove è apprendista. Le dimostrazioni quel giorno, il giorno del funerale di Jaradat, risultavano particolarmente intense e i due fratelli si unirono ai manifestanti.

Un grande miracolo

Si fermarono  con altri giovani al margine settentrionale della loro città,  dove finisce o si è bloccati dal  muro di separazione, ai piedi del fortino – la torre fortificata di cemento in fiamme quel giorno per le bombe molotov e i fuochi d’artificio lanciati . I soldati hanno lanciato  lacrimogeni e ad un certo punto uno di loro ha sparato un proiettile vero, alla testa di Oudai. Un silenziatore ha coperto il rumore, secondo i testimoni.

Amir  stava fuggendo dal  gas quando suo fratello è caduto. I soldati hanno portato Oudai nell’edificio fortificato e, secondo le testimonianze, hanno  chiamato un’ambulanza palestinese dopo circa mezz’ora.  E’ statoricoverato all’ospedale Al-Hussein nella vicina Beit Jala.

Più tardi quella sera, Oudai è stato portato all’Hadassah University Hospital. Diverse vittime degli incidenti della settimana scorsa – dai villaggi di Khusra, Aboud, Qalandiyah e Betlemme – sono ora ricoverati presso Hadassah.

Per un attimo  mi sono intrufolato nella stanza dove giace Oudai: un adolescente allampanato con i tubi attaccati al suo corpo, con la madre e la nonna che piangono incessantemente al suo capezzale. Il nonno dice che pochi giorni prima   rispondeva a ciò che lo circonda, ma ora non più. La febbre è salita questa settimana e la sua vita è in pericolo. Il nonno è venuto qui la notte che il ragazzo è stato colpito e non è andato  a casa da allora. “Non possiamo lasciarlo per un attimo,” l’uomo anziano dice: “Io non sono disposto a tornare a casa.”  Il suo compleanno sarà domani: domenica.

Ad appena un’ora di macchina da lì Mohammed Kurdi si trova nel reparto di chirurgia di Al-Hussein Hospital, su un letto malandato coperto con una logora coperta sintetica. Suo padre, Khaled, è al suo fianco. L’addome del ragazzo e le gambe sono fasciati. Uno dei due proiettili  è entrato nello stomaco  e si è fermato  nella  spina dorsale, ma senza causare danni irreversibili.  Dovrà  subire un intervento chirurgico per rimuovere i due proiettili. Il padre, un gestore di auto-lavaggio, capisce che suo figlio ha conosciuto un grande miracolo.

Studente di ottavo grado, Mohammed è andato a scuola come al solito nel campo profughi di al-Aida lo scorso lunedi. Poi  ha  preso i pattini ed è andato a fare un giro intorno al campo. Al ritorno, vicino alla porta del campo , un certo numero di adolescenti si erano riuniti e lanciavano pietre contro il muro e la torre di guardia. Eravamo lì meno di un mese fa  per documentare l’uccisione di un altro ragazzo di qui, di 15 anni, Salah Amarin.

Suha Zeid, un ricercatore   di  B’Tselem – Il Centro di informazione israeliano per i diritti umani nei Territori Occupati, ha filmato  gli ultimi minuti prima che Mohammed fosse ferito, dal tetto di uno degli edifici della via. Il video non mostra un’attività particolarmente tempestosa in strada: un piccolo nucleo di meno di 20 adolescenti sporadicamente lanciano  pietre contro il muro da una distanza di oltre 150 metri.

Mohammed, in una camicia a righe, è  tra loro. Erano circa le 14:15, Zeid aveva spento la fotocamera e non ha filmato il momento in cui è stato colpito Mohammed, ma solo i minuti subito dopo. Mohammed  è soccorso dai suoi amici. Un cameraman straniero ha filmato  un soldato che prende la mira da una finestra della torre di guardia. Questo è  a quanto pare il cecchino che ha sparato a Mohammed.

Dal suo letto, Mohammed racconta l’evento con la sua voce infantile: un proiettile ha colpito la sua gamba e poi, mentre si piegava in due dal dolore, il secondo ha colpito il suo stomaco. Il soldato che ha sparato lo ha fatto da una distanza di 150 metri  dalla torre di guardia. Questi erano proiettili veri. Non è chiaro il motivo per cui sono stati usati.

Secondo il video, e secondo logica, è impossibile credere che la vita dei soldati fosse  in  pericolo. Mohammed racconta di  aver visto il soldato che ha sparato in piedi alla finestra della torre di guardia. Ora dice con un sorriso pallido che mai ci si avvicinerà di nuovo. Suo padre ci ricorda che i figli di questo campo profughi piccolo e affollato non sanno dove andare nel loro tempo libero.

Il portavoce dell’IDF ha risposto così: “Ultimamente  ci sono stati violenti episodi  illegali e pericolosi nella zona della Tomba di Rachele. Nel corso di questi eventi , che si svolgono in settori diversi intorno al complesso della tomba, quelli che vi prendono parte lanciano sassi e scagliano bombe improvvisate e bottiglie molotov ponendo   in pericolo i fedeli  e le forze di sicurezza.

“Spesso cercano anche di bruciare postazioni dell’esercito vicino alla  tomba e di danneggiare le finestre delle strutture del complesso. Indagini verranno  condotte su  quanto è accaduto  e le  conclusioni saranno spedite all’ufficio dell’avvocatura  militare per l’esame. “

Quest'opera viene distribuita con Licenza Creative Commons. Attribuzione - Non commerciale - Condividi allo stesso modo 3.0 Italia.

Lascia una risposta

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Questo sito usa Akismet per ridurre lo spam. Scopri come i tuoi dati vengono elaborati.